1. How do I use Neo?
- Access to Neo (your platform to manage business travel and general expenses) is managed and controlled by your business. Your company Administrator can establish an account for you at any time and it takes seconds. Once this is established you will be sent an email asking you to authenticate yourself, establish a password and “Bam” you are ready to start T&E-ing. Your company Neo Administrator is typically someone in HR, Finance or someone who manages all the office administration to keep everyone happy and doing their job.
- It happens to the best of us. There are two ways in which you are able to get a new password issued. The first is to select the Forgot Password link on the Neo Sign in page, this will issue you an email allowing you to follow a link and reset your password. The second is to contact your company Administrator who can trigger the reset Password email on your behalf.
- This is a common issue and is associated with your personal or business email account settings. Please check your Junk folder in your email for emails relating to the service sent from our @kdsneo.com domain. Ensure your Junk Email properties are configured to accept emails from @kdsneo.com (register @kdsneo.com as a safe domain). You may need to do this at a personal and business level.
- Systems are smart, and getting smarter, but they still rely on people telling them what to do. In your case, we need someone to tell us who your company Administrator is. Neo has asked for their details to be completed and presented to you in the T&E policy link shown on your Dashboard (the first screen you see when you access Neo). Check here for the details, if they are not there ask around. If this fails, try the following:
- Ask the most social person in the business – the person that always knows who’s dating who, and is always up for a social gathering after work
- Send an email, Skype message or text a person who is always out of the office traveling – they will know
- Failing the above: Put a Post-it note on the door to the office bathroom – someone will giggle and get back to you very soon
- The Neo platform is a transaction-centric expense process. This transaction based workflow aids the visibility of expenses and allows for more efficient user and business expense processing as you are able to do your expenses “On the Go” in near-real time. Neo, however, does support the process of batching up expenses for a common purpose such as per trip or per month for businesses that work on a batch cycle for expense processing. To group transaction in to an expense report, first create the individual expense items. Then group the ones you want to assign to an expense report using the Expense justify view prior to submitting them for approval. Note: once an expense has been approved you are unable to regroup this expense in to an expense report. Once you have submitted an expense for approval you need to “un-submit” in order for it to be grouped in to an expense report bucket.
- The Neo platform is a transaction-centric expense process. If you plan your trip in Neo, it will automatically associate any expenses incurred between the start / end date of your trip. As a user you don’t need to do anything if your business policy does not request you to reconcile on a trip level. if you do, you can add / remove expenses following the same process as described in Expense Report grouping against a Trip.
- Typically it takes between 2-4 days for a corporate credit card transaction to reach Neo, sometimes longer for overseas transactions. As soon as your issuing bank sends them to us they appear in Neo.
- Access to the Neo Move mobile App can be achieved by first accessing the Request (FH* What does this mean? Perhaps we could word this a little better?)
- For information on the types of expenses your business allows you to claim for or what your business will pay for, please refer to your Business Buying Guide, Travel & Expense Policy or ask your manager.
The Neo platform however has an open Payment Hub connector that can support the management of nearly any type of payment from: Reimbursements to employees for using their own cash, or claiming Mileage to justifying transactions that have taken place on a PayPal for business account. By default, Neo is configured with the ability to manage employee reimbursements, typically established as a Personal Pay account, however your business may have configured other payment types such as Corporate Card (AMEX, Visa, MasterCard, AirPlus etc…) transactions, Business Lodge accounts and Uber for Business accounts. These will appear in your expense view if they have been established.
If you think there are payment types that Neo should be managing to make your reconciliation life easier please speak to your company Administrator, to get them added to the Neo program. Each Payment Type is configured to have business rules defining how they should be managed; for example Corporate Card transactions can not be deleted as they need to be reconciled against a company pay account and have already been paid for by the business, where as Personal Pay transactions yet to be approved as a valid business expense can be deleted.
- For expenses that need to be charged to different cost centers or projects, where you paid for a training activity, a trip or a meal, where the costs need to be shared, can be easily done in Neo across any finance segment using the list view under Expense. Simply click on the “+” icon under the finance segment that you wish to allocate a % or amount to, and this creates a new line for your expense. Note: totals need to add correctly, Neo helps you do this automatically, splitting an expense is carried out in the transaction currency (the currency that you incurred the charge in), not the billing currency.
- When you purchase an item or service, in some situations a single charge is made up of various goods and services. You may go to an internet Office Supply site and purchase stationery, coffee and tea for the kitchen, a new office chair, and 4 x PC screens for new employees. All of these products may need to be allocated to different accounting treatments for reporting, depreciation, and tax reasons. For this reason it is sometimes important for you to itemize a purchase in to the various categories of goods / service you purchased.
- As a user and once you have accessed the service, you can simply request to be reimbursed for expenses you have incurred in the service simply by selecting “Create New Expense” button from the Justify dashboard tile or go to the Expense menu item and select the “Create New Expense” button on the top Right Hand Side of the view, just under the expense timeline. Once selected you will be presented with a view and fields to populate. Mandatory fields are highlighted red based on your business’s policies. Once all fields have been accurately completed select Submit from the top Right Hand Side (Green Button) and your expenses will be passed on for approval. A list of your expenses and their status is presented in the top Expense timeline.
- As a user, and if your company has configured a file to be passed in to the Neo platform representing your card expenses, you will see these automatically at the Justify stage in the expense timeline. These transactions are waiting for you to justify that they are correct and add additional details to them based on your business expense policy and rules. To access your transactions simply select the “JUSTIFY” button from the Justify dashboard tile or go to the Expense menu item from the Left Hand Side menu. You will be presented with a list of expenses already loaded in to the platform that require your attention. Once you select a transaction you will be presented with a view and fields to populate. Mandatory fields are highlighted red based on your business’s policies. Once all fields have been accurately completed, select Submit form the top Right Hand Side (Green Button) and this will pass your expenses on for approval. A list of your expenses and their status is presented in the top Expense timeline.
- The Expense timeline has been designed to put the user in context of the End to End expense process. Keeping you informed of what has been done, and what needs to be done to a business expense. It represents the stages that all expenses must pass though in order for them to be processed by your business. This process includes 5 stages, illustrated below in the expense timeline
- PLAN to spend money
- JUSTIFY money you have spent
- APPROVE expenses for your team or Cost Center / Department / Project you are responsible for
- REVIEW expenses that have been flagged for financial audit (policy breach or for tax management review)
- PROCESS expenses from the Neo platform in to your finance and / or payroll system (if you have enabled the API connectors this stage will happen in real time automatically).
A visual representation of this timeline appears on most views in Neo including the Dashboard. It also presents a counter of the number of expense transactions at each stage. Each user can see the count and status of expenses in a role based context: End users can see their own expenses, Managers that have staff reporting to them as defined in the user’s profile can see the status of their teams expenses, Finance and Administrator roles can see the expenses for the entire business. Navigating to see the various views of expense counts in the timeline can be achieved by selecting on the applicable menu on the Left Hand Side of the platform under ME, APPROVAL and BUSINESS.
- There are three main Roles in Neo: ME (User) or my profile where you manage your individual expenses. APPROVE (Manager) where you will see and manage expenses that have been triggered for your approval either as a result of you being nominated as that user’s manager in the user Profile or as an owner of a Financial Segment i.e. Project Code which you are responsible for approving expenses that are assigned to it. BUSINESS (Administrator / Finance), where you can configure and manage all business expenses and review transactions for posting to your finance platform.
ME, APPROVAL, and BUSINESS.
In the Left Hand Side menu, and depending on your role, you will see the representation of ME, APPROVAL and BUSINESS. If you are a User and do not have any expenses to approve then you will only see ME. If you are an End user that needs to process your own expenses and also approve expenses for others then you will see the APPROVE menu option. If you are an Administrator / Auditor that has expenses for approval as well as incur expenses for your own individual role you will see all roles ME, APPROVAL and BUSINESS.
ME Represents my expenses and expense activity
APPROVAL Represents the expenses that have been triggered for approval
BUSINESS Represents expenses across the entire business
2. How do I manage Neo for my business?
Before you start setting up Neo, you need to know the following:
- How your business financially accounts for expenses, i.e. what financial codes (General Ledger and Tax) need to be assigned to expenses so that they appear in your company accounts accurately
- Basic details of the people you want to give access to the service, enabling them to submit and approve expenses
Once you have this information, we should have you up and running in 15 minutes as Neo is implemented with a set of predefined configurations based on industry best practice, all you need to do is adjust these where you want to. For detailed information on the business set-up of Neo please refer to the Administrators & Finance: Getting Started & Navigating Neo product guide in the Product Knowledge base.
- Creating users is easy. As an Administrator, simply select on the “People” icon under BUSINESS on the Left Hand Side menu. Here you will be presented with a list of all current users – including yourself. From here you can either:
- Manually add individual users by selecting on the “+ Create User” button on the top Right Hand Side of the view, and complete the mandatory fields, or
- Upload a file (.xls) directly into the service containing a list of users to be added using our Profile XLS template. You can access this XLS template by clicking on the Download Sample file in the top Right Hand Side of the view, this file will be pre-populated with sample user details that you can overwrite and add your user’s details to. Once complete, save the file and upload it into the service via the Import User button, select the file of users you just created and process.
- If a user has left your business or you immediately want to restrict access for that user to the platform, as an Administrator you can access that user profile from the User menu option under BUSINESS. Then search for / select the user from the list by clicking on the edit pencil button on the Right Hand Side and change the users status from active to locked (user remains a valid user but is locked out of the platform) or deactivated (user history is maintained but they are no longer a valid user of the system).
- Expense transactions may get stuck in the system for a number of reasons, but is often caused by a step in the expense workflow being triggered where the person or user that needs to perform the action is inactive or disabled, e.g. people leaving the business with active users and / or approvals that haven’t been actioned. To resolve this, simply delegate that user’s role to an Administrator and perform the approvals on their behalf.
The best way to prevent this issue, is to act prior to deactivating a user. Check the Financial Segment owners for the leaver and / or their user details to see which users they are responsible for managing. Then change these to different active users before deactivating the leaving employee.
(FH* I’ve tried to reword this one a little to simplify it. Could you please check it over to make sure it is correct, as I don’t have access to this part of the product to test it. Your original text is here: Expense transactions may get stuck in the system for a number of reasons but mainly due to a step in the expense workflow being triggered. However, the person or user that needs to preform the action being inactive or disabled. Common example include: people leaving the business however have users or approvals that they need to action. To address this situation “after the fact” simply delegate that users role to an Administrator and preform their approvals on their behalf. The best way is to prevent this in the first place as such before you deactivate a user please check the 1 – Financial Segment owners for that user and or User details to see what users they are responsible for Manage – changes these to new active users then deactivate the leaving employee.)
- A Payment Type account is an attribute against each transaction managed in Neo. For example every transaction in Neo is associated with a single Payment Type account and typically businesses reconcile against these Payment Types on a monthly basis. A company may have a number of Payment Types in their business and each Payment Type is either paid for by the company (the company is liable for all the charges) and then reconciled at a company level, or is paid for by the individual (the individual is liable for the charges) to which the company needs to reimburse them for and they manage their own account reconciliation. As an Administrator you can establish any number of Payment Types against which transactions are associated with and reconciled against, and this can be done in the Administrator Settings area of the service under Payment Type. Further some payment types such as PayPal for Business, Uber For Business, and Corporate Credit Cards link to 3rd party connectors and if you wish to have these established in your program automatically please contact your Support provider.
- By default each company is established with over 20 segments that can be configured to support your business needs. Typically companies will need 3-5 segments to inform their financial accounts to be configured and an Administrator can easily do this via the Settings Menu and using the Finance Tab for configuration. Simply select the segment by selecting on the Edit Pencil icon – define a name, description, if it is mandatory or optional, and if the population of the segment is via free text or via a closed select list (choose from a list of variables). You can create as many segments as you need but for simplicity, limiting your segments to 3 or 4 is ideal. Further makings sure the Field names are concise is also important. To create individual codes to be used for closed list segments, simply add segments to the code – here you can also define an owner of the code so that they will be responsible for approving expenses assigned to that specific code.
- As an Administrator you can create new tax codes and rates at any time in seconds – as soon as they are created they are available for use by your expense users. Simply select the settings menu on the Left Hand Side, navigate to the Tax configuration Tab and edit (select on the edit pencil icon), delete (select on the rubbish bin icon) or create new from the action buttons presented. Note: any new tax codes will be immediately available, if you delete a tax code it is no longer valid for use and may trigger expenses to be passed back to the user for justification as the tax used is no longer valid. Deleted tax codes are not removed from the system or from reports with historical data, they are instead no longer available from that point on. Depending on your configuration settings, end users may have the ability to define the tax code and or tax amount paid on an expense in the Justify stage of the platform.
- As an Administrator you can edit current, hide, rename or delete add new Expense Types in seconds – as soon as they are created they are available for use by your expense users. Simply select the settings menu on the Left Hand Side, navigate to the Expense Type tab, here you are presented with the default list of expense types. Note Expense types of System can not be deleted however can be hidden from use.
3. How do I manage reconciliation of expenses for the Business?
- As an Administrator under the reconciliation menu “Arrow Circle” on the Left Hand Side menu you can see the status of all expenses in the workflow and trigger financial exports to be generated and then passed in to your finance system.
- As an Administrator under the reconciliation menu “Arrow Circle” on the Left Hand Side menu you can see the status of all expenses in the workflow and trigger financial exports to be generated and then passed in to your finance system. By selecting the Run Export button against each Payment Type for each billing / statement period export files are created (unless you have API’s dynamically feeding your finance system) and can be seen and downloaded from the File tab. Files are stored in Neo for 90 days, after that point in time you will need to run new extracts for a given billing period.
- As an Administrator under the reconciliation menu “Arrow Circle” on the Left Hand Side menu you can see the status of all expenses in the workflow and trigger financial exports to be generated for both
- Transactions that are complete and waiting to be processed in to your expense system and
- Expenses for a specific payment type for a specific payment period that remain “work in process” i.e. accruals
- As an Administrator under the reconciliation menu “Arrow Circle” on the Left Hand Side menu you can see the status of all expenses in the workflow and trigger financial exports to be generated for both:
- Transactions that are complete and waiting to be processed in to your expense system and
- Expenses for a specific payment type for a specific payment period that remain “work in process” i.e. accruals
Each export creates two files. One is a financial posting of complete expenses, and the other is the accruals file providing your finance system with a complete picture of all expenses for a payment type for a given statement period.
(FH* the last two questions / answers appear to be the same – please check and amend)
4. Expense data and getting access to it?
- Expense information is stored in Neo for 7 years +1 to support most local data retention legislative requirements.
- Every transaction in Neo can be evidenced by an image which should be an Invoice / Receipt. These can be loaded into the service in a number of ways:
- By using the Neo Move app on your mobile
- In a line item basis by searching your laptop
- Using the eInvoicing module via email. Once an image has been associated with a transaction you can review it at anytime in the service by running a report and selecting on the image link. Each image is given a unique URL which can be passed to your finance system using the finance extract and this can be used to access the image at anytime from anywhere